General Information

Image
Panoramica Segovia
Weather
Segovia

Its location, in the interior of Iberian Peninsula, and its altitude (higher than 1000 metres above sea level) condition its climate, with four very different seasons. It is highly influenced by the nearness of the Guadarrama Mountains which, at its highest peak, Peñalara, exceeds 2400 metres above sea level. During part of the year, the mountain is covered with snow – which allows the existence of some ski facilities.

Brief Historical Account

Segovia is a city with a long history. Its strategic location, on the top of a rocky hills along with the fertility of the two valleys that surrounded it, contributed to the settlement of different tribes around the 5th century BC. Since then, it has been inhabited by different groups such as celtiberians, vettones, romans, visigoths....

In 1088 the city was resettled by christians. Under the direction of the nobleman Raimundo de Borgoña and the first bishop Pedro de Agén, Segovia was repopulated with people coming from the north of Spain and also from France. This was the beginning of a period in which Segovia became one of the most important cities in the Kingdom of Castille.

Most of the Romanesque churches that already exist in the city were built between the XII and XIII century,  what makes of Segovia  one the European cities with the highest number of churches built in this style.

With the accession of the Trastámara dynasty on the throne, Segovia became a centre of political power and temporary Royal Court. Kings such as Juan II and Enrique IV spent most of their reigns in this city. In 1474, Isabel la Catolica was crowned queen of Castille and years later, in the 16th century, a Segovian militia, joined the Revolt of the Comuneros in order to fight the abusive power of king Carlos I,  under the command of the Captain Juan Bravo.

The 16th century was Segovia's best moment. The city became an important centre of trade in wool and textiles and developed a flourishing industry that boosted its economy. The Segovian drapery was renown in Europe for its hight quality.

The nobility and the rich textile manufacturers rivalled throughout the XVI and XVII century in building the most impressive palaces which housed courtyards and gardens of Renaissance style. Its façades still show the family's coat of arms. However the plague that devastated Europe at the end of the XVI century along with the decay of the textile industry, plunged Segovia in centuries of poverty. Only in the XVIII century, with the arrival of the Bourbon dynasty, who built their palaces in the nearby sites of La Granja and Riofrio and with the establishment of the Royal Academy of Artillery in the Alcazár, the city experienced a certain boost.

Segovia's process of impoverishment was deepened with the occupations of the french and Carlist troops during the Napoleonic and  Carlist wars.

Nowadays, Segovia is one of the most touristic cities in the centre of Spain due to the multitude of historic buildings that has preserved.  In 1985, UNESCO included its old town and Aqueduct in the list of World Heritage Sites.

Ilustrious Historical Figures

The city pays homage to its most distinguished citizens throughout different statues and monuments and also with streets and squares named after them: from remarkable kings and queens, politicians, counsellors and clergymen to painters and writers. These are just some of the most eminent citizens of Segovia.

San Frutos

He was born in 642 in Segovia. With his siblings Valentín and Engracia, also sanctified, he sold his family possessions  among the poor and established himself to meditate in the Duratón River Gorge, where according to the tradition he performed several miracles. The most popular one is the miracle known as “La Cuchillada” (The slash). The legend says that Saint Frutos slashed with his stab a rock making a crack in it. The earth miraculously opened allowing the christians to escape the Moorish forces' persecution. Nicknamed as “The Bird lover”, he is a popular saint whose festivity is celebrated on the the 25th of October.

Juan Arias Dávila

(Segovia ca. 1436-Rome 1497). Politician, royal counsellor, ecclesiastic and Bishop of Segovia. He was a patron of the arts bringing for the first time the printing press to Spain. He commissioned the typographer Juan Parix with the printing of the first book in Segovia. This book was printed in Parix's workshop in 1472 and it is known as “El Sinodal de Aguilafuente”. Nowadays, it is kept in the archives of Segovia's Cathedral.

Andrés Laguna

Doctor and philologist born in Segovia, he achieved international prestige as personal doctor of Pope Julio III and Emperor Carlos I. His fame was even spread by Cervantes in his book “El Quijote de la Mancha”. He published 25 works, between them, the famous “Annotations on Dioscórides”. He died in 1559. His remains  rest  in Saint Miguel Church in Segovia.

Abraham Seneor

Outstanding jewish financier during the reigns of kings Juan II, Enrique IV and the Catholic Kings. Nowadays, the Jewish Learning Centre is located inside what was part of his palace.

Diego de Colmenares

(1586-1651). Priest and historian. In 1637 he published his famous work: “Historia de la insigne ciudad de Segovia y compendio de las historias de Castilla” (“History of the distinguished city of Segovia and Compendium of the histories of Castilla”), key reference to know the historical roots of the city. He died in 1651 and he was buried in San Juan de los Caballeros Church where he was a parish priest for three decades.

Domingo de Soto

(1495-1560). Dominican priest, confessor of Carlos V, theologian, jurist and Theology and Philosophy professor in Salamanca University.

Legends
Leyenda de la Mujer Muerta

El perfil que dibuja sobre el cielo la silueta de la montaña conocida como la Mujer Muerta, es un capricho geológico, interpretado desde el prisma popular y legendario de la siguiente manera: la esposa del jefe de una tribu que vivía en el cerro del Alcázar, muerto aquél, crió a dos hermosos niños gemelos que, con el tiempo, se enfrentaron para asumir el liderazgo del pueblo.
La madre, desesperada ante la posible lucha fratricida, ofreció a Dios su vida a cambio de la supervivencia de sus vástagos.
Cuando éstos iban a pelear, una ventisca seguida de una formidable nevada -en pleno verano- se lo impidió. Disipado el temporal, los hermanos comprobaron que una montaña cubría lo que hasta entonces había sido llanura. Dios había aceptado el sacrificio de la mujer, cubriendo su cuerpo yacente con nieve.
La leyenda dice que dos pequeñas nubes se acercan al atardecer a la montaña: son los dos hijos que besan a su madre.

The legend of the Aqueduct

According to a local legend, the Aqueduct was built by the Devil and not by the Romans. A girl who worked carrying water to the very top of the city, tired of drag the pitcher through the steep streets, made a pact with the Devil : he would keep the girl´s soul if, before the rooster crowed, the water reached the door of her house. The young woman accepted but soon regreted it and, aware of her fault, she fervently prayed to avoid the omen. A storm broke whilst the Devil was working restlessly. Just when he was about to place the last stone, the rooster crowed, meaning that he had lost the girl's soul. She confessed her sin to Segovia´s citizens who, after sprinkling the arches with holy water in order to remove the brimstone trace left by the Devil, happily admired the city's new profile.

It is said that the little holes that can be seen on the sides of the stone blocks are reminders of the points where the Devil´s fingers pressed.

Nowadays, a bronze sculpture located in San Juan Street, reminds us of this legend. It represents the Devil holding with one of his hands a pair of pliers that fasten the last block that was left to place, and with the other a cell phone with which he is making a selfie with his work. This friendly representation, known colloquially by Segovia´s citizens as “El Diablillo” (“The Imp”), was made in 2018 by the artist Jose Antonio Abella.

Leyenda de la conquista de Madrid por los segovianos y origen de los Nobles Linajes

Durante siglos, el gobierno de Segovia estuvo detentado por regidores que se dividían en dos grupos, cada uno de ellos vinculado a uno de los Nobles Linajes de la ciudad que, según la leyenda, tienen su origen en gloriosa gesta. Cuando el rey Alfonso VI se propuso la conquista de Madrid, llamó a las milicias concejiles y las de Segovia, mandadas por los capitanes Fernán García de la Torre y Día Sanz de Quesada, llegaron tarde al campamento. Pidieron alojamiento pero el rey, disgustado por la tardanza, les respondió que se alojaran en Madrid. Los segovianos tomaron aquello como una orden, asaltaron las murallas y ellos solos conquistaron la ciudad, enviando a decir al rey que viniese a aposentarse a Madrid, donde ellos ya tenían aposento. Don Alfonso les concedió muchas mercedes a los dos capitanes, cabeza de los Nobles Linajes de Segovia.

Leyenda del Cristo de Santiago

Este Cristo crucificado, hoy en el Museo Diocesano, procede de la desaparecida iglesia de Santiago y fue el inspirador de una leyenda eclipsada por la que, en la época romántica, el poeta José Zorrilla atribuyó al toledano Cristo de la Vega. Había en esta ciudad de Segovia -escribió su creador, Lorenzo Calvete- una doncella muy virtuosa por cuyos amores andaba un mozo loco y perdido. Los desatinos del mozo eran muchos y la doncella andaba temiendo cualquier desastre cuando un día, hallándose ésta rezando ante el Cristo de Santiago, el mozo se acercó y le prometió que si consentía en entregarse se casaría con ella. Sin embargo, una vez que la hubo conseguido, el mozo no mostró intención de cumplir su promesa, a lo que la joven decidió acusarle ante el obispo. Preguntó éste si había algún testigo y como la muchacha señalara al Cristo de Santiago, el obispo acudió a tomarle juramento, cosa que el Cristo hizo, desclavando su mano y poniéndola sobre los Evangelios.

Leyenda de María del Salto

En las rocas que rodean La Fuencisla, las Peñas Grajeras, las voces más antiguas cuentan que quisieron despeñar a una mujer judía, Esther, acusada falsamente de adulterio. En ese momento, la joven confesó su fe cristiana y se encomendó a la Virgen, obrándose el milagro de alcanzar la tierra sin sufrir ningún daño. Tras el suceso, fue bautizada como María del Salto y se consagró al servicio de la Catedral de Segovia.

Leyenda del príncipe y la aya

El balcón central de la Sala de los Reyes muestra una cruz que rememora un suceso del que los siglos han cuajado dos versiones. La más legendaria cuenta que, estando el infante D. Pedro de Castilla, hijo de Enrique II el de las Mercedes, en el balcón en brazos de su aya, resbaló y cayó al vacío. El aya, atemorizada, se lanzó tras el niño. La versión histórica apunta que el infante, de 12 años, cayó mientras jugaba a la pelota con sus amigos.

Leyenda de la sala del cordón

Un cordón realza el techo de una de las salas principales del Alcázar. Según la tradición, el relieve fue encargado por la reina Violante como lección de humildad para su esposo Alfonso X el Sabio. Al parecer, su sabiduría y soberbia eran parejas, y llegó a afirmar que Dios hubiera hecho bien en pedirle consejo antes de crear el Universo. Fray Antonio de Segovia le suplicó que confesara su pecado, pero El Sabio, orgulloso, se negó. Entonces se desató una terrible tormenta, y un rayo atravesó las estancias reales, matando a varios cortesanos. Fue entonces cuando el monarca dio su brazo a torcer y cumplió su penitencia; su mujer aprovechó para encargar el friso, un amuleto encargado de calmar la habitual ira de su esposo.

Leyenda de la Fundación del Monasterio del Parral

Al fondo de la pina calle que desde el río conduce al Monasterio del Parral hay una lápida con esta inscripción: 'Traidor, no te valdrá tu traición pues si uno de los que te acompañan me cumple lo prometido, quedaremos iguales'. Al viajero pueden extrañarle los términos en que está redactada la inscripción en el camino que lleva a un recinto religioso. Cuentan que Juan de Pacheco, marqués de Villena y valido de Enrique IV, fue un hombre que, por su ambición, tuvo muchos enemigos y que uno estos le retó a duelo junto a la ermita de la Virgen del Parral. Bajó el de Villena el día ajustado y se encontró con que su enemigo estaba allí pero no solo, sino acompañado por dos hombres. Se sintió perdido, dirigió una plegaria al cielo y tuvo una reacción rápida, dirigiéndose a su rival con la frase grabada en la lápida. Cada uno de los acompañantes pensó que era el otro quien se había vendido y combatieron entre ellos mientras el de Villena lo hacía con el retador, venciéndole. El marqués agradeció el haber salido bien de tan comprometido trance, transformando la humilde ermita en amplio y rico monasterio.

Leyenda del Corpus Christi

Frente a la entrada de la Iglesia de Corpus, un lienzo narra la leyenda de la profanación de una Hostia por los judíos. El sacristán de San Facundo entregó la custodia en la calle del Mal Consejo (todavía existente), y los judíos quisieron echarla en una gran caldera hirviente. En ese momento la Hostia empezó a volar por el aire y un terrible estallido provocó el hundimiento del edificio. Desde entonces, en desagravio , se celebra la Fiesta de la Catorcena, por las catorce parroquias que existían en la ciudad.

Leyenda de la calle de Muerte y Vida

El nombre de la calle de Muerte y Vida recuerda un episodio ocurrido en tiempos de las Comunidades, cuando se acusó injustamente a un hombre de traición. Cuando le llevaban a prisión, una mujer que residía en la calle arengó a los captores, pidiendo la muerte del apresado y arrojando una soga desde su ventana. Finalmente, la prudencia prevaleció sobre la ira del populacho. La casa fue derribada, pero la ventana se conserva en el Museo Provincial.